For those who want to take it to the next level we now have a 3G Cellular Modem breakout! The MOVA 3G has better coverage, GSM backwards-compatibility and even sports a built-in GPS module for geolocation & asset tracking. This all-in-one cellular phone module with that lets you add location-tracking, voice, text, SMS and data to your project in a single breakout.
This module measure only 1.75"x1.6" but packs a surprising amount of technology into it's little frame. At the heart is a powerfull GSM cellular module (we use the latest SIM5320) with integrated GPS. This module can do just about everything
- Quad-band 850MHz GSM, 900MHz EGSM, 1800MHz DCS, 1900MHz PCs - connect onto any global GSM network with any 2G SIM.
- This is the European Version - with dual-band UMTS/HSDPA 900/2100MHz WCDMA + HSDPA (Click here for the American frequency band version)
- Fully-integrated GPS (Qualcomm PM8015 GPS) that can be controlled and query over the same serial port
- Make and receive voice calls using a headset or an external 8Ω speaker + electret microphone
- Send and receive SMS messages
- Send and receive GPRS data (TCP/IP, HTTP, etc.)
- AT command interface can be used with 300, 600, 1200, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200, 230K, 461K, 961K, 3.2M, 3.7M and 4.0Mbps
- Native USB support - plug it into a computer and you'll get serial ports for GPS and
Here's the GPS specifications:
- 16 acquisition channels
- GPS L1 C/A code
Tracking: -157 dBm
Cold starts : -144 dBm
Cold starts: 100s (typ.)
Hot starts: 1s (typ.)
- Accuracy: approx 2.5 meters
- Onboard LiPoly battery charging circuitry so you can take your project on the go. Use any 500mAh+ LiPoly or LiIon battery and recharge over the MicroUSB when necessary. Two LEDs let you know when its charging and done
- Standard 4-pole TRRS headphone jack. Use any 'Android' or 'iPhone'-compatible headset with mic
- Breakouts for external 8Ω speaker and electret mic if you don't want to use a headphone
- Level shifting circuitry so you can run it with 2.8V to 5V logic.
- uFL connections for external antennas
- Indicator LEDs for power and network connectivity
- Standard SIM slides into the back
On its own, this module can't do anything. It requires a microcontroller to drive it! We suggest and use an Arduino but any 3-5V microcontroller with a UART can send and receive commands over the RX/TX pins.
You will also need some required & recommended accessories to make 3G work.
- Required Lipoly Battery - 500mAh or larger!
- MicroUSB cable for charging the battery and communicating with the module over USB
- TRRS 4-Pole Headset - Not required but it'll be tough to make a phone call without it. Any 'iPhone' or 'Android' compatible (but not iPhone original) should work. We tried about 10 different ones, and basically the more expensive once are more comfortable and louder but our official iPhone headset mic did not work.